Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wild green, you make my heart sing

I'm into my second half-century on the planet, and it really just hit me sometime in the past year or two that the one color that is a constant for me in decorating, that I've used in at least one room in every home I've owned or rented, is green.  Any green will do:  I used a bright, spring green in the early 70s; a pale, shaded aqua (almost sea-foam, but with a bit more blue) in the 80s; a gray-green in the 90s; an olive in the 00s, and now, this is truly making my heart sing...











This room was featured in one of the 2010 Denver area Parade of Homes entries.  Isn't that just the most cheerful, spirit-lifting shade of green you've ever seen?  Pairing it with the white and black was inspired perfection.  Now I realize this room is designed for a young girl, but I'd use it for my own bedroom in a nanosecond.  The problem is, I spent too much money re-doing our master suite several years ago and simply cannot justify re-doing it on a color whim.  What to do, what to do?!?! - because I simply must have a room with a green that makes my heart go pitty-pat the way this one does.  

And then the answer came to me; the answer that strikes fear in the hearts of college kids everywhere:  Time to commandeer their deserted bedrooms and make them part of your own home again.  This will be the second time I've done such a thing, and oh,  the humanity!  The room in question is a good-, if oddly-sized (appx. 17' x 9') room and originally served as a combination office/sewing room/guest room.  Sometime in the 90s, my son moved into it because we bought him a waterbed that took over the tiny proportions of the smaller room he was using.  When he left home, I redecorated it (much to his dismay) for my daughter.  And now, it's m.i.n.e. again.  Sorry, kiddos:  You're both more than welcome to use it on those rare occasions when you spend the night here, but I'm not leaving the second largest bedroom in the house as a shrine to either of you.  Not when I have a jonesing for a pretty green room, so get over it! 

I'll be updating this blog daily with photos that serve as inspiration and my progress as I make my way through this re-do.  Until tomorrow, enjoy a few more joyously green rooms...


















From Trendszine  (May I just say: Wow!)



Originally from Crate&Barrel, featured on Hey It's Ansley

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME. When i"m a zillionaire Im going to hire you to do my whole house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh... and I thought I was happy with the brick red, taupe and black combo in our bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm even MORE excited for you to strike it rich, Evin. Smooch, Rin, since I know you're really not all that stoked about me re-doing your room. And Laurie, I thought *I* was still happy with my brick red, gold and black bedroom, too - but I'm nothing if not fickle when it comes to interior colors.

    ReplyDelete