Thursday, November 4, 2010

The bedding

The room in question had a super-single-sized waterbed that I was way past ready to see out the door.  Don't get me wrong - I love waterbeds; my husband and I sleep in one and have from the day we married.  But when it comes to purchasing bedding for them you either have to be uber-wealthy or willing to settle.  Or sew.  And while I do quite a bit of sewing, I just really didn't want to go that route if I could avoid it for this room.  So I listed the bed on Craig's List and it was gone in under 48 hours.  Now I was free to shop for bedding with normal dimensions at normal stores.  Or rather, online...





I love the colors in this set - it has the same mixture of black, white and green that were in the room that initially inspired me.  But I wasn't wild about the 70s mod print, and knowing that I would never actually stage the room with the comforter pulled back to show the sheets, there really wouldn't be enough green for the finished effect I wanted.





This one is pretty enough, but it just doesn't do it for me.  That may be because it's vaguely reminiscent of the very first bedspread I bought when I moved out of my mother's home.  





While I think the mix of patterns and colors on this set is interesting, it doesn't make me bust out in a grin the way the inspiration room did so I quickly passed it by.





I like this set, but felt there would be too little green if I used the white side of the comforter and too much if I used the green side.  




From Macy's

I love, love, love this set.  Love it, I tell you!  However, I balk at spending sixty bucks on one toss pillow and knew I wouldn't be happy with just the comforter.  I also didn't care for the pattern on the sheets, so buying a couple of those to make my own toss pillows and shams wouldn't solve the problem.  It broke my heart, but I had to pass on this one as well.

Sometime in between finding the above set and resigning myself to not being able to have it for myself, I was out comparison shopping at every store in town for curtain rods for another room.  While in TJ Maxx, I spied this pillow in someone's cart...


and could barely contain myself from snatching it out of their cart and putting it in my own.  I loved the color and the funky cut-work soooooo much, but much as I might love it, I didn't see how I could use it in any room in my house. 

Until the next day, that is.  Still pricing curtain rods, I took a quick detour to the bedding section at K-Mart and lo and behold, I found IT!

From the Jaclyn Smith Collection at Kmart

After that build-up, I can sense you're somewhat underwhelmed, but it was perfect for so many reasons.  It had the green I was looking for, as well as the black and white.  And it had the same fabulous deep aquamarine as the pillow at TJ Maxx.  But best of all?  It was only $49.99 for a full-sized set that included the comforter, two shams and bedskirt.  Wow!  There were also toss pillows priced at $12.99 each and I grabbed two small green ones and one larger teal/aquamarine one.  Then I made a beeline for TJ Maxx - praying all the way that they'd have another of those pillows in stock.  My prayer was answered and I was a very happy girl that day.

Until I sat down and started thinking about the deep aquamarine bedskirt being right up against the kelly green carpet that's in the room (and that I can no way justify replacing right now).  Ay yi yi, there's always a problem.  More on that in tomorrow's post...




1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely right: I am underwhelmed by your bedding choice. But I trust your judgement and will wait to see how the whole thing turns out.

    ReplyDelete