Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Decisions, decisions

I made absolutely no further progress on the painting yesterday, and that's due purely to the fact that I simply can't make a decision.  I sat in that lovely barrel chair in the corner of the room for hours last night, sketching out ideas and - mostly - just thinking, and I'm no closer to a decision today than I was at this time yesterday, so today's blog is just going to be one long, disjointed ramble.  (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

My initial plan for the room was simply randomly sized stripes using all of the colors I picked up, and a much paler shade of one of the metallic teal greens on the ceiling.  I discounted the metallic ceiling almost instantly because I've been there and done that and metallics just don't work on ceilings as a general rule.  The light doesn't play on a ceiling in the same way it does on walls and my experience has been that they look dark and decidedly non-metallic on a ceiling.  I tested it out with the paints I picked up by simply holding the paint chip above my head and looking at it, and sure enough they went from sparkly glam to indeterminate gray.     However, one of the features I'm planning for this room is rope lighting hidden behind a simple trim made from 1"x4"s and rosettes installed an inch or two below the ceiling.  This will throw light both down the walls - which is why I think the metallic stripes will be great - and onto the perimeter of the ceiling.  With that in mind, I'm thinking of doing a pattern such as this around the perimeter of the ceiling, but just two or three rows deep...



(c) Andrew Buckle graphicxtras.com

I think this is a simple, do-able plan, but as I sat in the corner of the room looking at the bed and the wall behind it, I kept remembering this...



Teal Eyelet Paper Lantern 

I found this beauty when I was searching online for a second paper lantern to match the green one I already have and I fell madly, passionately in love with it.  Can't you just see those hanging on either side of the bed against the simply painted green walls?   I immediately ran into two problems (of course!).  One, when you click on "buy product online" at this website, it gives you an "under construction" page and has been doing so for two weeks now.  I'm outta patience, so plan B is this...


The light fixtures set me back a whopping $5.34 at Restore (man, what a treasure trove that place is!) and the sheer fabric another five bucks.  Initially, I planned to simply make an elongated, oval tube of fabric, gathered at top and bottom, and perhaps finished off with some metallic silver trim.   Now I'm thinking I might try something more sculptural using fabric stiffener (i.e., glue and water).  

Problem number two....


That STUPID window!!!  Not only can I not center the bed on the wall, but the hanging lamp on the window side of the bed will not have the pretty green backdrop, it will have whatever I use on the windows for the backdrop.  I'm very limited in what I can do with the windows because the one on the other side of the room butts right up against the closet - i.e., there's no room for a curtain rod, so the window treatments will have to be mounted inside the window frames.  The window coverings that were in the room are simple 2" wood blinds in a natural finish that really needs to be re-finished, so when I was staring at the room last night I decided I would simply spray paint the current blinds in a metallic silver (since I cannot imagine I'll be able to find spray paint in that same shade of green and there's no way in heck I'm going to attempt to paint blinds with a brush), and continue the silver as a floor to ceiling stripe the same width as the window, mimicking it on the other side of the bed.   Of course, that then brings up the problem of the bed not being centered on the wall again, so the flanking silver stripes will probably look...stupid.  Besides,  I really want that wall to be simple so that both the lamps and the headboard I plan to make are the stars.  With that in mind, I'm heading out now to see if I can rustle up either fabric or spray paint in the right shade of green.  Wish me luck! 

7 comments:

  1. Deb, why don't you angle the bed into that corner? I always love the way that looks and, as I recall, the room is big enough for that. Especially in a room you're not really going to use daily. Wish I had a room big enough for that...

    O.K., go ahead and give me the reasons why you can't do that. Not all 50,000 of them -- just the top 5 will do. ;)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this. Reading your blog is like watching HGTV come to life :) Thanks for the advice, btw, on paints... I picked up a gallon of Kilz this afternoon, so we'll see how that goes. You've inspired me with your blog- we haven't done much with our new home- I've only painted two rooms so far, and now I'm feeling like it's time to get back on the ball. I can't wait to see what you create for the headboard. I looked at your other site and your work is stunning. You are incredibly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two very good reasons, sis: 1) If I angle it in the corner, the headboard will cover the window; 2) There's no way to put decent-sized bedside tables next to a bed that's angled into a corner, and hanging lamps on either side of the bed would also be a lot trickier. I'm really trying to design this room with guests' comfort in mind (I'm even going to buy a luggage rack!) so it's important to me that there's a bedside table to place a glass of water or a book or reading glasses, and bedside lighting that can be switched off without getting out of bed. BTW, from previous blog comments: The cool building is in some unpronounceable city in Germany and yes, of course I remember where that godawful chair came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I've inspired you, Jennifer, because you inspired me! When you said my eyesore of a chair is "spectacular" a couple of blogs back, I figured you were being sarcastic. But you know, one thing about that chair - and the reason I still have it after 36 years (and I got it second-hand then) is that it's soooooo comfortable. That's why I was able to sit in the room for hours last night without budging to do any work! I also looked at it with a more critical eye to see what I might do to spiff it up and have a couple of ideas that I think will make it live up to your "spectacular" rating. We shall see; I don't have any experience upholstering anything more complex than a headboard or a dining room chair, so this is going to be a project that might send me to the looney bin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb,

    I love that you created this blog and to hear your advice. You are very creative and talented. I am feeling more confident about trying to repaint Austin and Noah's rooms this winter now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, cuz! If I lived there, I'd be over this weekend to get you motivated. I know I'm weird, but I really do love to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Currently this hall bathroom is…well…dated. Think faux painted walls, and cherub wallpaper border! As I said, she has been wanting an update for a while now…

    roomscapes

    ReplyDelete